- Environmentally sustainable design (also called environmentally conscious design, eco design, etc.) is the philosophy of designing physical objects, building environment, and services to comply with the principles of ecological sustainability.
- The intention of sustainable design is to “eliminate negative environmental impact completely through skillful, sensitive design.”
- Manifestations of sustainable design require renewable resources, impact the environment minimally, and connect people with the natural
- With the rise in awareness towards environment, sustainable development is the obvious way forward.
- It is a method of selecting certain types of environment-friendly & human-friendly FF&E materials which promote good indoor air quality, they are free from toxicity and make use of renewable energy.
What factors play a major role in designing a Sustainable Interior
Lesser negative impact on the environment.
Longer life of materials planning to use
Promoting healthy & rich indoor environment.
SCOPE OF SUSTAINABLE INTERIOR
Interior designers can relearn important lessons from the past to understand how to create sustainable designs.
This course will explain :
1. The environmental issues we face today.
2. Review historic examples of sustainable design.
3. Discuss how the interior designer can apply past principles to address today’s issues.
With the world shifting steadily towards sustainable development, it is necessary that even interior designers adapt to this attitude.
Sustainable interiors offer :
1. Healthy indoor environments.
2. Fresh air.
3. Plenty of sunlight.
4. Focus on minimum wastage.